Jul 21, 2018
The Great Gatsby - Upgrade
If you're reading this, huzzah, it worked!
I made a few changes to this site, namely:
- It went from Gatsby 1.0 to Gatsby 2.0.
- It went from pulling content from markdown files saved in the git repo to pulling content from Contentful and Pocket.
Why is this better?
A few things:
- Contentful can issue a webhook when I publish content, and Netlify can listen to it, so I don't have to push code to Netlify to kick off a content build. That separates the code from the content nicely.
- I find a lot of links I want to keep track of and share, but I'm terrible at following through on it. Saving those links in markdown files didn't make it any easier, but I already use Pocket. Now the flow is: save a site to Pocket, read and archive it, tag it with
bwc, and Gatsby will add it to the site's graphqland I can merge it with the content I've created on the home page.
- The content here isn't particularly complex schema-wise, but I am a UI developer so I'm very aware of how a few seconds here and there messing with formatting and structure can, over time, become super frustrating. Moving the markdown metadata into nicely formatted Contentful fields makes the process of creating a new post much more enjoyable.
- I'd like to find a way to connect the Pocket archive task to a webhook so that also does a Netlify deploy, but it's a low priority.
- Getting the site working offline as a progressive web app. 😁