Nov 20, 2022
I wish that turkey only cost a nickel
We did “early” Thanksgiving with my parents this weekend. We do it the weekend before because then it’s easier for my parents to visit us, and on the actual weekend of Thanksgiving we usually have four straight days to do “not much”.
Every year I struggle to find the recipes/timings/temperatures I used the year before, even though every year I write it down somewhere. So this year, it’s here. Maybe next year I’ll find it.
- Turkey. 9lb breast only, spatchcocked, 450° for 80 minutes. Should have covered the skin a little earlier (or dropped the rack down a level) but still good. I coat the skin in mayonnaise and bird herbs.
- Roasted red potatoes, coated with oil and said bird herbs.
- Buttermilk biscuits with poultry herbs. About 10 years ago now I made these and they rose perfectly and I’ve been trying to chase that magic combination since then.
- Green beans with almonds, sautéed with butter and honey with herbs from the biscuits.
- Homemade cranberry sauce, which is personally my favorite part of the meal.
- A salad (greens, grapes, blue cheese, walnuts, balsamic fig dressing).
- Pumpkin pie, although not nearly as nicely decorated as the one in that link. Still tasted good.